Why is AD a Target for Hackers?
Active Directory (AD) is a critical component of most IT infrastructures. It stores information about users, computers, and other resources, and it controls access to those resources. As a result, AD is a major target for hackers.
Active Directory monitoring is the process of collecting and analyzing data about AD activity in order to identify and respond to threats. This data can include things like user logins, password changes, and object creation and deletion.
There are a number of reasons why AD is a target for hackers. First, AD stores a lot of sensitive information, such as user passwords and account credentials. This information can be used to gain unauthorized access to systems and data.
Second, AD is a centralized repository of information. This makes it a single point of failure for an organization’s IT infrastructure. If AD is compromised, it can disrupt or even bring down the entire network.
Third, AD is often not properly secured. This can leave it vulnerable to attacks such as password spraying, brute force attacks, and social engineering.
How to Protect Active Directory from Hackers
There are a number of things that can be done to protect Active Directory from hackers. These include:
- Implementing strong password policies. This includes requiring long, complex passwords that are changed regularly.
- Using multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA adds an extra layer of security by requiring users to provide a second factor, such as a code from their phone, in addition to their password. Learn more about DUO, our recommended MFA solution.
- Keeping AD software up to date. Microsoft regularly releases security updates for AD. It is important to install these updates as soon as they are released to protect against known vulnerabilities.
- Monitoring AD activity. This can help to identify suspicious activity, such as unauthorized logins or password changes.
- Using a security information and event management (SIEM) system. A SIEM system can collect and analyze data from a variety of sources, including AD, to identify and respond to threats. Learn about Citynet’s SIEM, CyberPulse here, and get a free demo.
Active Directory monitoring is an essential part of protecting your organization’s IT infrastructure. By collecting and analyzing data about AD activity, you can identify and respond to threats before they cause damage.
Here are some additional tips for Active Directory monitoring:
- Use a variety of monitoring tools. There are a number of different tools available for Active Directory monitoring. By using a variety of tools, you can get a more comprehensive view of AD activity.
- Set up alerts. You can set up alerts to notify you of suspicious activity, such as unauthorized logins or password changes. This will help you to quickly identify and respond to threats.
- Review logs regularly. It is important to review AD logs on a regular basis. This will help you to identify any suspicious activity that may have been missed by alerts.
By following these tips, you can help to protect your organization’s Active Directory from hackers.
How Citynet Can Help
Cybersecurity is complex. Citynet offers a comprehensive portfolio of cybersecurity solutions, including those that offer active directory monitoring.
We have a team of experienced security professionals who can help you to assess your security needs and implement the appropriate security measures. We also offer 24/7 monitoring and support, so you can be confident that your network is protected 24/7.
To learn more about how Citynet can help you to secure your business, contact us today. Call us at 844.CITYNET (844.248.9638).