The social media platform Twitter recently announced that it would be renamed and rebranded as “X”. As a result, the monthly subscription for a blue verification checkmark will be renamed from “Twitter Blue” to “X Premium.” Cybercriminals are taking advantage of this change to launch a phishing scam.
The scam starts with an email that appears to come from X. The email states that you need to transfer your Twitter Blue subscription to an X Premium subscription due to the recent changes. If you click the link in the email, you’ll be taken to a spoofed X login page. Entering your credentials on this page will give cybercriminals easy access to your X account and any sensitive information in it.
Here are some tips to help you avoid falling victim to this scam:
- Be suspicious of any email that asks you to provide personal or financial information. Legitimate companies will never ask you for this information via email.
- Never click on links in emails from unknown senders. Instead, type the website address into your browser yourself.
- Look for misspellings or grammatical errors in the email. Scammers often make mistakes in their emails, which can be a red flag.
- If you’re unsure whether an email is legitimate, contact the company directly. You can usually find their contact information on their website.
- By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from the X Premium phishing scam.
Remember that this type of attack isn’t exclusive to X. Cybercriminals could use this technique to impersonate any platform with a subscription service.
Here are some additional tips to help you stay safe online:
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly.
- Enable two-factor authentication for your online accounts.
- Be careful about what information you share online.
- Keep your software up to date.
- Be aware of the latest scams and phishing attacks.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from cybercrime.
Train your first line of network security: your employees! Citynet offers security awareness training from industry leader KnowBe4. This dynamic platform equips employees with the information they need to protect themselves and their organization’s assets from loss or harm. Security awareness training is an essential investment for any organization that wants to protect its employees and assets from cybercrime. Learn more here or contact Citynet today!